1. Push yourself to get up that bit earlier. As soon as you’re out of bed splash some water on your face and get dressed in whatever you’ve laid out for yourself the night before. You’ll feel that bit more productive and motivated. Drink some cranberry green tea while your make your breakfast.
2. Let yourself fall asleep earlier. – Start with 11pm, then 10pm, then 9pm. You’ll wake up in the morning feeling re-energised and comfortable. It helps if you make your bed irresistibly cosy. Sipping some chamomile and honey tea before you go to bed also helps.
3. Cut down & get rid of processed food from your diet. Start with no candies, crisps, biscuits, then erase white pasta, white rice, cereal, then white bread. Try use the guideline if a child couldn’t identify what’s in it – don’t eat it. Or a 10 ingredient max to help the transition.
4. Get into the habit of preparing yourself a beautiful breakfast. Ready brek, almond milk and honey. Some green juice. Herbal tea. Multigrain toast, mashed avocado with too much lemon on it. Or these vegan blueberry oat pancakes look very promising (note to self : have to attempt these). Sit and eat and enjoy nothing else.
5. Stretch. Start by reaching to the sky as high as you can, then try touch your toes – don’t push yourself to where it hurts. Always be gentle with yourself. Roll your head slowly. Stretch your fingers. Stretch everything. Look up and attempt some beginner yoga tutorials (and don’t be afraid to modify the shit out of them – it takes practice to touch your forehead to your knee).
6. Buy a 1L water bottle. Start off pushing yourself to drink all throughout the day, then try drinking it twice when you feel your body’s used to it (it does wonders for the skin even over just a few days).
7. Buy a beautiful diary and a beautiful inky black pen. Write down everything you do and think of. Include dinner dates, appointments, work deadlines, what you’re feeling, your to do list. No detail is too small.
8. Strip your bed of sheets and empty your underwear laundry into the washing machine near the start of the morning. Put a massive scoop of scented fabric softener in there and wash. Make your bed so nice and cosy for your future tired self.
9. Organise your room. Fold all your clothes (and bag what you don’t want), clean your mirror, take a goddamn selfie, clean your laptop/ipad, vacuum the floor, escort any spiders outside with a glass and bit of paper, light your favourite scented candle or some incense.
10. Have a luxurious shower with your favourite music playing. Wash your hair, exfoliate your body, brush your teeth, lather your whole body in moisturiser (or baby oil), apply a coconut oil hair mask to the mid-lengths and ends.
11. Push yourself to go for a walk, with the dog, with a friend. Go to the beach or the woods. Sit for a moment and take in nature.
13. Clear your life of toxic people; the manipulators, the selfish, the mean. Be around the people you aspire to be, who make you feel good about yourself and who help you along through life.
14. Think about what interests you. The Universe? Crime? Rock and roll in the 70’s? Political metaphors? Find a book about it and read it. There is a book about literally everything.
15. Become the person you want to fall in love with. Let cars merge in your lane when driving. Stick your tongue out at babies. Compliment people on what you like about them occasionally. Challenge yourself to not ridicule anyone for a whole day, a week, a month. Walk with a straight posture. Look people in the eye and give them your full attention. Let people be themselves comfortably around you. Speak about your passions, not your dislikes. Encourage others the be themselves by example.
16. Lie in the sunshine. Daydream about the life you would lead if failure wasn’t a concept. Open yourself up to positivity. Take small steps toward your goal.